If you have ever felt sleepy at school or work, you might be interested in this article because Scientist says, “the presence of abundance of proteins in the white layers of egg might tremendously assist an individual from falling asleep at work or from feeling sleepy.”
They have identified that protein not sugar activates the cells that keep us awake and burn calories.
A research carried out at the department of Pharmacology, University of Cambridge has shown that:
1. a substance which is like the protein in eggs helps us regulate energy balance
2. the loss of this protein leads to narcolepsy and weight gain
3. sugar blocks the release of orexin
4. amino acids stop glucose (sugar) from blocking orexin cells (in other words,
protein negated the effects of sugar on the cells).
These scientists have found that egg proteins are much more effective than carbohydrates found in sugary foods which is used to boost energy quickly.
"Research suggests that if you have a choice between jam on toast, or egg whites on toast, go for the latter.
"Even though the two may contain the same number of calories, having a bit of protein will tell the body to burn more calories out of those consumed." Which means that the protein in eggs could help you lose weight.
Other benefits of Eggs
1. They contain choline which is an important nutrient that helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and diovascular system.
2. They contain sulphur, vitamins and minerals which helps promote healthy hair and nails.
3. They are good for our eyes because of their carotenoid content. A research found that an egg a day may prevent macular degeneraton.
4. A recent research has shown that, contrary to previous belief, moderate consumption of eggs does not have a negative impact on cholesterol. Scientists show that regular consumption of two eggs per day does not affect a person's lipid profile and may, in fact, improve it. Research suggests that it is saturated fat that raises cholesterol rather than dietary cholesterol.
5. Eggs contain the right kind of fat. One egg contains just 5 grams of fat and only 1.5 grams of that is saturated fat.
Also, egg white is full of protein and the yolk is full of iron which our body needs to function.
So go on and eat eggs to overcome feeling sleepy at work or school.
By ‘The Healthy Wellbeing’
1. 'Egg Whites on Toast Help Us Stay Awake at Work'
2. 'Evidence Update', http://plus.mcmaster.ca/EvidenceUpdates/Headlines.aspx
3. Neuron, ‘Activation of Central Orexin/Hypocretin Neurons by Dietary Amino Acids’
4. Nhs choices, ‘Eggs wake you up? The facts are scrambled’,
5. Whfoods, ‘Eggs’, http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92